简体
Without a Hitch English, baby! Video Lesson
一帆风顺

Wedding English lesson

Date: May 15 2012

Themes: Family, Romance, Soap Opera

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

So much can go wrong at a wedding. There is food, music, jewelry, flowers, and of course the ceremony. It’s hard to get it all right. It’s rare for such a big event to go off without a hitch.

When something goes off without a hitch, it happens without a problem. Jason and Devan’s wedding is not off to a very good start. The bride was delayed because she was robbed! She is OK, fortunately. Can the rest of the big day go off without a hitch?

婚礼上很多事情都可能会出错。比如食品、音乐、珠宝首饰、鲜花,当然还有典礼。很难将所有事情都安排得当。举办这样的庆典很少有一帆风顺的。
当某件事一帆风顺的时候,就是说这件事情进展顺利。詹森和德文的婚礼开始时并不太顺利。新娘因为被抢劫迟到了!幸运的是,她安然无恙。婚礼接下来会一帆风顺吗?

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Ella

Ella

Jeff

Jeff

Dale

Dale

Jason

Jason

Mason

Mason

Devan

Devan

Vanessa

Vanessa

Marni:  She’s here! She made it!

Ella:  This is a disaster.

Marni:  I don’t know. I think now that Devan’s here, it’ll go off without a hitch.

Jeff:  There’s so much more that could go wrong. You think this is gonna go perfectly?

Marni:  I don’t know, I think it’s gonna be OK. Here she comes!

Dale:  Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join these two in holy…holy…holy cow!

Jeff:  I guess he really does have himself a hottie.

Dale:  Oh, oh, sorry, sorry. Do you have the rings?

Jason:  Oh, I think it gave it…Do you…

Mason:  Haha, I got the rings.

Jason:  Now we’re even.

Dale:  Do you, Devan, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, as long as you both shall live?

Devan:  I do.

Dale:  And Jason, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, as long as you both shall live?

Jason:  I do.

Dale:  By the power vested in me by the state of Oregon, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride! Pour that in there.

Jeff:  Yeah, so then I say, where did his pants go? It was crazy, a real wild one. Hey, what’s up?

Ella:  That was a close one.

Devan:  Yeah, but once I finally got here, it went off without a hitch, don’t you think?

Marni:  It was pretty good.

Devan:  Oh, no. It’s time for the best man toast.

Jeff:  What do you think the chances are of this going off without a hitch?

Ella:  I would say none.

Marni:  I think everyone is so drunk, it’s not gonna matter. They won’t remember.

Jeff:  Yeah.

Mason:  OK, so yeah, most of you probably know how Devan and Jason met. They were best friends and they fell in love. But I’m gonna tell you what really happened. It started, interestingly enough, with a coma and a banana peel. Devan was calling Jason…

Vanessa:  Great wedding. Looks like it went off without a hitch. Do you have that hot minister’s number?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan is late to her wedding because of a robbery. But she arrives safely, so there’s still a chance everything will go off without a hitch. However, Jeff doesn’t think it’s very likely.

Dale starts to marry Jason and Devan and then notices Vanessa. He is surprised that she is real and hot just like Mason said she would be. When he resumes the wedding, Jason pretends he can’t find the rings. He tells Devan, “Now we’re even,” since she made him worry earlier.

After the wedding, Mason, who is the best man, starts to tell an embarrassing story in his toast. So Devan tackles him. In the end, it appears everything went perfectly. Except that Vanessa asks Devan for Dale’s number. That can’t be good. But that’s another story.

Have you ever experienced a big event that went off without a hitch?

Comments

bravevivian

Ecuador

nice story.

I think every wedding has a funny moment.  I haven’t been in a event that went off without a hitch.

I hope my wedding goes off without a hitch though 

lol

:D

08:39 PM Jan 14 2014 |

ErinDong

ErinDong

United States

wow! i sure think having a party without a hitch is very hard to have.  i once have been to wedding that went well without a hitch.  maybe it did go wrong when i got a scar from the church chairs. otherwise, the wedding was great!

09:54 PM Jul 19 2012 |

jessieeun

jessieeun

South Korea

wow it  should be really useful term i guess, i will be english translation volunteer in EAS congress 2012 so hopefully, it will be without a hitch.

06:41 AM Jul 02 2012 |

luisthechange

Bolivia

I liked it´s the first time that I hear it.

06:02 AM May 30 2012 |

oseas

oseas

Brazil

the best English materials i`ve ever found in the internet!! simply the best of all!!!!

03:23 PM May 18 2012 |

anandkawasthi

India

Hi, I like this episode,this story remineds me about what was happen in my wedding.it was disaster for me, i spent lot of money to make perfect wedding but due to heavy traffic we could not reach at wedding place  on time and also  i  had have arragement of  music party it timing was 7 pm to 10 pm,we reach there after 10 pm.

02:11 PM May 18 2012 |

Irene Forever

Ukraine

When I remember my wedding, I feel happiness in my heart. My husband and I loved each other so much. We were on cloud nine that day. All was going smoothly. Just one event made me upset not for long. It was heavy rain. My splendid wedding dress got wet through while I walking from the car to a restorant. It was not a distance at all, but it was enough a few seconds to become wet to the skin. At last I had my dress pressed, and with a bright smiling face I appeared in front of my guests to get a kiss from my husband.:)

They say rain on a wedding day is good luck. It’s true as  it used to be for 27 years. I thank God for giving me a chance to love and to be loved. Unfortunately everything has its end as well as life.

halcyon yang

Taiwan

ha I hope Mason could finish the story :P

12:52 AM May 16 2012 |

1 person likes this

resti pratita

Indonesia

very lucky :)

follow my blog restipratita.blogspot.com

10:03 PM May 15 2012 |

insaf95

insaf95

Morocco

most of events I experienced are went off without a hitch 

09:05 PM May 15 2012 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

There´s no wedding without a honeymoon  ,We haven´t so far hear  about  our newlyweds   getaway destination,  maybe to a paradisiac island in the pacific or a cruise to México  ?  

07:25 PM May 15 2012 |

Joy900

Joy900

Japan

baset ; you are chewing Qat with them ! right !

06:40 PM May 15 2012 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

joy / see you later ! i’m busy with my friends now ! bye !

06:35 PM May 15 2012 |

Joy900

Joy900

Japan

Baset : thank you sooooon much ! you are wonderful ! sooo fast to send it !

06:31 PM May 15 2012 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

right

06:27 PM May 15 2012 |

moham1

moham1

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hello, who want be my english teacher?

06:21 PM May 15 2012 |

Joy900

Joy900

Japan

Devan and jason :

may you have many years of happiness . 

Baset :would you please post on behalf of me a nice card ! i couldn’t post !

06:16 PM May 15 2012 |

jouana

Lebanon

i like this episode, this story reminds me about what happened in my wedding it was a disaster for me i spent lots of money to get a perfect wedding but unfortunately the photographer he couldn’t took me a picture and video because his camera was broken and my wedding went without professional photographer and i think it was on purpose somebody didn’t want my wedding went without a hitch and there was a lots of mistakes now i don’t like to watch video or pictures wedding . 

06:00 PM May 15 2012 |

sanaa2000

sanaa2000

Egypt

I hope,Allah send the good gay to me.Thats the important

04:55 PM May 15 2012 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Actually this topic very Amazing specially talk about Our traditional over the world ,In my opinion there is no wedding without a hitch specially In the middle east we have a lot of problem when we have the wedding , I don’t Know what we feel some of people can bear everything but mostly of guests or relatives were angry  , I remember my father when we had the wedding ,He was very angry Although everything was going well , I think when you were calm when you have a good control in yourself you will be able to overcome All difficult  things 

We should know regardless what we have or what will happens  , we will be happy If our behavior was correct 

All the best to All bridegroom and to every bride wishing to you All happiness . 

02:15 PM May 15 2012 |

Likes (41):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast