Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

blow off steam

blow off steam

Date: Feb 19 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“My favorite way to blow off steam is to sing loud in the shower.”

Actor Chris Pratt, talking about how he likes to relax (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

do something to relax; release stress

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When you put water in a kettle and turn on the stove, it slowly gets hotter and hotter. In a minute or two, the water begins to boil, which makes a loud sound as the steam (or hot air) blows out of the kettle. When you hear that sound, you know the water is hot and ready to make coffee or tea. If you want the sound to stop, you must take the kettle off the hot stove.

Sometimes when people feel like their lives are heating up, they need to find ways to blow off steam and cool down again. You can blow off steam by shouting into a pillow or going for a long walk. Some people prefer to blow off steam with more difficult activities, like running or boxing. A late night of dancing with friends is a fun way to blow off steam and get exercise at the same time.

Actor Chris Pratt likes to blow off steam by singing loudly in the shower. For him, it’s a good way to stop feeling stressed out and to start feeling better.

How do you blow off steam?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My favorite way to blow off steam is to exercise.”

“After that long meeting, I really need to go blow off steam.”

“I know you’re stressed, but yelling at me isn’t the best way to blow off steam.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Sergijko Actions or behavior, that helps someone to chill out; get something off one’s chest
by Sergijko
Manu4 To let out stress
by Manu4
Crizsearch it means to do or act something to rid of feeling or emotion
by Crizsearch
a2020 To relax.
by a2020
 julito To release pressure .
by julito
Shoba To get the anger or frustration out of one's system.
by Shoba

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

When I’m angry or just nervous I prefer to push up and doing exercises for my legs and trunk. That’s the way I blow off steam.

12:17 PM May 30 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I do ballet to blow off steam. I put earphones with a good music and do very strenuous ballet exercises to the point of almost collapsing. Your feet hurt, the arms are shaking, but music helps you carry on. After an hour, you’re born again. Have you ever seen in the movie Hitch, the main heroine blow off steam, shouting at the pillow? I coulndn’t understand what she was doing, since we usually don’t blow off the steam like that. We laugh at the pillow when we don’t want someone to see it, we also cry into the pillow when something bad happened or fight with the pillow just for fun.

12:33 AM Feb 21 2015 |

1 person likes this

YellovY

YellovY

Aruba

There are many ways to blow off steam, each person has different way as every of us has different characters.

01:32 PM Feb 20 2015 |

sensitiveheart1

Poland

I blow off my steam by listening loudly to music ;)

01:09 PM Feb 20 2015 |

1 person likes this

dawod

dawod

Afghanistan

I ususally blow off my steam by mumbling some song.

12:38 AM Feb 20 2015 |

david_marceno

Brazil

I play video games to blow off steam.

08:30 PM Feb 19 2015 |

dayu1

dayu1

Mexico

definitely… i blow off steam by dancing latin rhythms :)

05:33 PM Feb 19 2015 |

saveme911

saveme911

Algeria

i blow off steam by writing a looooong explosive narative or just taking a long hot shower.

04:39 PM Feb 19 2015 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Dear Shoba , you are right . sometimes it`s the only way   (at least for me) to vent out   steam before it blows out  to the sky,  but usually i am very calm and mellow :))))) 

03:54 PM Feb 19 2015 |

1 person likes this

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

At those hard times when I’m fed up with stress and anger, I prefer to be alone excercising, walking in a green place, looking at the clear sky from the roof of the house (knowing that I have phobia of high places :D) and think of my life and reschedule my should-to-do things to get my life better. Also reading a self-help book helps when any of the above aren’t available.

03:47 PM Feb 19 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

Dear Julito,

You seem to be really letting your steam out through your mouth when you sit and puff a cigaratte at the time you’re boiling! 

03:28 PM Feb 19 2015 |

RayLeeJump

RayLeeJump

Taiwan

To play piano is a good way for me to blow off steam.

02:34 PM Feb 19 2015 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

to listen intrumental or soft  music..to try sleeping..to walk near seaside..to watch seaguls,ships,waves..to talk with friends.. to take a shower..

they are my few ways for keep myself to blow off steam ..

11:52 AM Feb 19 2015 |

Gordafarid

Gordafarid

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Going for a long walk and listening to music both work on me, but sometimes I really need to do difficult activities to blow off steam. I’m not sure about shouting into a pillow but shooting the pillow seems nice…generally I think shooting everything is helpful in such situations. Shooting dishes, shooting darts, shooting people :D

10:23 AM Feb 19 2015 |

julito

julito

Argentina

When in  the boiler room the red lights are flashing warning that  preassure is building up  , i immediately put the boiler to run in  safe-mode , which consist in singing aloud ,( I have a varied repertorie of songs )  tangos, Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin , to name a few. If  music  doesn`t work then i smoke a cigarette … hmmmm only one ? i doubt it. and then again , if i am still pissed off  ,nothing is working , i use plan C :  cuss words …   Ahhhhh i am better now.

10:12 AM Feb 19 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

My way to blow off steam is to watch comedy series. It helps.

YellovY

YellovY

Aruba

Shout out loud is my best way to blow off steam. Just go somewhere noones knows okay

04:05 AM Feb 19 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

When I am steamed up about something, I know I’ll blow up sooner or later and take it out on my family members.

At those times, I go into a silent mode and sort out the laundry or pull out the weeds in our garden. It really works for me. 

S&W

S&W

China

Sleeping is a good way to blow off steam.

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast