Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Hawaii
Hawaii

Learn English meaning of ‘Hawaii’

Date: Aug 07 2017

Themes: Holidays, Travel, Weather

Grammar: Imperative Form

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Hawaii is a lush, tropical paradise located in the Pacific Ocean about 2,000 miles off the western coast of the United States. It is known for its waterfalls, tropical forests, and coconuts. It also has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. When the wintertime blues start to seep into your soul, it might be time to pack your sunscreen, and fly away to a Hawaiian paradise.

However, Hawaii is not cheap. If you want to take a vacation to Hawaii, you are going to have to budget and save your money. Planning your vacation beforehand can help you find the best deals on hotels and restaurants. Even then, it might still be too expensive for many people. If this is the case, you might have to use your imagination. Drinking piña coladas in your bathtub is a close second.

Dominique is having a hard time dealing with all the winter rain. Listen as Jordin tells her about the benefits of escaping to the tropical paradise of Hawaii.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dominique

Dominique

Jordin

Jordin

Dominique:  Jordin, I just can not stand all of this rain. I need to get away, but I don’t know where to go. Because wherever I seem to go, rain seems to follow me.

Jordin:  Have you ever been to Hawaii?

Dominique:  Uh, no.

Jordin:  Uh, you should totally go. It’s like a living paradise on Earth there. Especially Kauai, that’s where it’s the most beautiful. There’s this really lush ecosystem, and then all these trees, and mango trees and coconut trees, it’s gorgeous.

Dominique:  That’s a real place? That sounds like Hawaii.

Jordin:  Yeah. Well, yeah, it is Hawaii. But Kauai is just, like, one of the islands.

Dominique:  Oh.

Jordin:  And then there’s the other islands, where there’s a lot more cities and stuff, it’s a little more, I don’t know, commercial. But Kauai is a lot more low key.

Dominique:  I wonder how much money does it cost to go there?

Jordin:  Oh…

Dominique:  Is it expensive?

Jordin:  It’s pretty expensive.

Dominique:  Like, how much expensive? Like, I need to give blood?

Jordin:  When I went, I just had to for a little while budget and, like, prepare to go. So just maybe not buying some of the extra stuff I would have beforehand. And then it was OK. I just saved up.

Dominique:  OK. Hmmm.

Jordin:  Maybe you could go to a luau. It’s really fun!

Dominique:  Is that during the day, or is it at night?

Jordin:  Usually in the evening.

Dominique:  OK. That’s great. Because I do not need a tan.

Jordin:  Oh, good. Then, we’ll keep you away. Wear lots of sunscreen.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Imperative Form" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Dominique tells Jordin that she can’t stand any more rain. She can’t escape it! It seems to be following her. Jordin asks her if she’s ever been to Hawaii. Dominique has not. Jordin tells her it is paradise on Earth. Jordin recommends that she visit the island of Kuaia. Kuaia is gorgeous, with lots of mango and coconut trees.

Dominique asks Jordin how expensive Hawaii is. Jordin tells her it is pretty expensive. When Jordin went, she had to budget and save her money. She tells Dominique that she should go to a luau. Dominique says she doesn’t want to get a tan, so Jordin suggests that she bring sunscreen.

Have you ever been to Hawaii? Where would you go for your dream vacation?

Comments

Press1

Press1

Aruba

Never been! It would be absolutely amazing to ride the waves of the Pacific Ocean. Dive in to see the coral reefs…yeah, that’s a wonderful dream!

12:58 PM Aug 14 2018 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

I have never been to Hawaii, it would be a dream coming true visiting those Islands hahaha!

I’m not really into beaches, but Hawaii can offer much more than this, right? I’d love to spend a week or two over there! <3

10:43 AM Aug 07 2017 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

No.

I would thought if I were a dull, uninteresting person that there no were any place where I really wanted to go for a dream vacation?  As long as the whole family together, any place can be going for a dream vacation , I always thought that.  Sometimes , if it were a pity that one person had no one dream place. 

07:49 AM Aug 07 2017 |

RaulSPA

RaulSPA

United States

Hawaii is so beatiful, but so expensive I rather go to Mexico beaches…but wait a minute it is so dangerous over there right now. Never mind I stay at home

05:16 AM Aug 07 2017 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast