Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

World Naked Bike Ride
World Naked Bike Ride

Learn English meaning of ‘World Naked Bike Ride’

Date: Oct 20 2017

Themes: Alternative, Hobbies, Party, Pop Culture, Sports

Grammar: First Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The World Naked Bike Ride is an international bike ride that promotes body positivity and clean methods of transportation. It is a liberating, exciting, and very fun bike ride that supports a very good cause. People can wear as much, or as little clothing as they want. Creativity is also encouraged. Bike riders can wear crazy costumes, wigs, or body paint as a way of protesting the world’s use of cars that are polluting our planet.

It is probably easy to be judgmental of a bunch of people getting naked and riding bikes. But the World Naked Bike Ride is a very fun and safe bike ride. Hundreds of thousands of people around the world participate. You can bare it all for this crazy, goofy ride. You will still have plenty of people cheering you on!

Andy loves the World Naked Bike Ride. Listen as he tries to talk Dominique into joining him.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Dominique

Dominique

Andy_H:  Hey, Dominique!

Dominique:  Yeah?

Andy_H:  Are you ready for the big event?

Dominique:  What event?

Andy_H:  The World Naked Bike Ride! It’s happening in our town this Saturday, and you can join me and bare it all for a good cause.

Dominique:  Wait, whaaat?

Andy_H:  Mmm-hmm.

Dominique:  Did you say naked?!

Andy_H:  Naked.

Dominique:  Oh, no! Never!

Andy_H:  What?

Dominique:  Oh, no! I like my clothes on, buddy!

Andy_H:  OK. Well, before you get too judgmental, I just want you to know that the whole thing is about body positivity, about liberating oneself from the prison of clothing, and about protesting really bad tendencies that we do as humans. Like, I don’t know, polluting the world by having more than a million, billion, bajillion cars driving around, killing the environment.

Dominique:  I am all for the environment, believe me, and protesting, but not that way. I like my clothes on. And if we’re going to do a bike ride, I would love to keep them on. But I’ll be there to support you, cheering you on! And if you need some water, I will have water on tap for you.

Andy_H:  OK. Just so you know, if you do come to support, like, your eyes can’t unsee that image.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "First Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy asks Dominique if she is ready for the World Naked Bike Ride. She is very surprised, and doesn’t believe that he said naked. She says she will not be getting naked to ride bikes. She prefers to wear her clothes.

Andy tells her that the World Naked Bike Ride is actually for a very good cause. It promotes body positivity, and protests the world’s use of bajillions of cars. Dominique says that she will come to cheer him on and bring him water. Andy warns her that she might see things that she’ll regret seeing.

Have you ever participated in the World Naked Bike Ride? Do you think riding bikes naked is a good way to promote a clean and healthy environment?

Comments

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

I have never participated in such a nike Bike Ride like this, but I wouldn’t like to!

I don’t like to show my naked body to everybody! haha I’m kind of shy!

05:07 PM Oct 22 2017 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

I never participated in the World Naked Bike Ride. I think this is a wacky and no efficient way to allert to a clean and healthy environment! However if someone wants to support a body positivity theory, and decide to bare it all, maybe that works.

I will cheer on who is able to support clean and healthy environment!

03:53 PM Oct 20 2017 |

1 person likes this

Elisa1

Elisa1

Spain

I think that participate in the World Naked Bike Ride is a good way to claim against enviromental pollution. It’s funny and goofy. I think that this movement was with clothes, and not naked, nobody put attention on them. Whatever if everybody bares it all for a good cause, the eyes of a lot of judgmental people will not be able to unsee, and the mass media will report about it.

10:01 AM Oct 20 2017 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast