Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Rockyy01

Rockyy01

Pakistan

My Dear Luzma… :)
Well if they said that it’s not a weakness then I’d say…
‘Oh… really…??? I thought it’s a weakness…
If it’s not a weakness then I’m without any weakness…’ ;)

02:43 PM Aug 13 2011 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

Luzma, keeping all mentioned above in mind I came upon below conclusion:

If employer have the right to ask that question than employee too can question back what are the weaknesses of working with that employer …

So, in that way of telling weaknessess, niether employer will find any employee nor any employee will finds any emloyer ;) and than for survival everyone will be self-sufficent in entreprenural skills and henceforth be honest to onself as no other option.

what can be result of such a mind-set? It will put an end to to all the big carporations and their exploitations and their will be equal distribution of wealth as per person hard work and creativity:-D

We can further finds answer to that question in looking into character of Greek mythology ‘Achilles’ and his weakness his ‘heel’ ... to keep that weakness in secret means his survival and making it expose his death :)

Have a look into it acording to Greek eyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilles’_heel

06:19 PM Aug 13 2011 |

miamidon

miamidon

United States

One way to deal with this question is to give the interviewer “weaknesses” that are actually “strengths.”  For example, “I’m overly attentive to detail” or “I’m a perfectionist” are both weaknesses that could also be interpreted as strengths.  Don

06:57 PM Aug 13 2011 |

Talk Now

Talk Now

Jordan

weaknessess decrease with experience.

employee can’t know what his weaknessess before getting the job ,,, during working will discover his weaknessess , at the beginning makes too many mistakes, after awhile of working , with more experience , weakeness will decrease .

just need good supervisor at the first months of working .is called  (training)

09:38 PM Aug 14 2011 |

Nicte ha

Nicte ha

Mexico

Saladeen:

Usually before ending the entreview, the employer asks if u have any question abt the position or the Corporation, maybe that’s the exactly moment when we could ask abt weeknesses of the Corp, but I think we shouldnt ask directly.

And, Im totally agree with u: “the weakness secret means the survival and making it expose is death”

miamidon: Yes, I that’s exactly what I’ve succefully done.

anarchotaurus: Yes I’m back!! I’d like to be more here, but sometimes it’s impossible 4 me coz of job.

Well, if no one gives a damn abt those questions, so, they shouldn’t be here Tongue out

08:13 PM Aug 15 2011 |

Dorothee

Dorothee

Germany

I just read some comments saying that they’d refuse to give a clear answer to a question like that, but I doubt you can say something like that without having to fear that they may refuse you. So I think I may tell them my weaknesses, but then I’d say immediately something like “However there of course are some positive things about me, too…” and then I’d tell them some positive things about my character.

Here’s a little rough structure about how I imagine this to be like:

My Weakness

>According to personal experience I can tell you that it’s usually hard for me to hide my feelings…I don’t cry too often, nor do I start insulting people when I’m angry, – I try to stay friendly in every situation whatsoever – but throughout my life I often realized that although I don’t want this to happen, either my body language or my eyes give away my anger or my sadness. It just appears to me, that there are many people from my surroundings who can hide that better.

>Several people already accused me of stubborness: Of course it’s easy to convince me of things that make sense to me or that I just want to believe in – in this sense I am rather suggestible. However it is a very big deal to convince me of something I just can not believe in.

>The fact that – as you can see by my graduation certificate – my marks in maths as well as in most natural sciences are not too well can be considered as a lack of logical thinking. In addition I get problems when it comes to learning things by heart.

My Strength

>As I said before there are certain small problems with my logical thinking. However these problems aren’t so distinct that I can’t put myself in the situation of others. Many people – teachers as well as relatives of mine – already confessed that in the stories I write there always is a clear structure and that the characters as I describe them show a logical behavior that is according to their maturity and the situation they are in at the moment. Perhaps this also proves that I at least have some imagination.

>I’m always able to control my behavior: There already have been people and maybe always will be people behaving in a very rude way towards me, but I’d never loose my temper or even get impolite myself towards them. In fact I think that at the age of 20 – as an adult person – you even have the duty to stay calm even in moments like this.

>I am anything but indifferent: As you can see on my homepage I care a big deal about people living in the so called least developed countries and about living creatures that according to the IUCN are the most endangered creatures worldwide – the specimens you can find in the category “critically endangered”. Online I write articles about them that even include links to organisations I consider to be trustworthy. Offline I often talk to my friends – who are as interested in these nearly extinct animals as I am – about the latest news I got to know through the media. Apart from that I already donated money to educational projects in the LDC for example or to animal shelters of which I knew that they were overstrained during that period of time. It was nearly summer…

>I have no problems getting in touch with people I meet for the first time. I can interact with people who at that moment are strangers to me – as the one-month voluntary social work I once did proves.

>They say I am ambitious!

Things In Between

Of course there also are things about me that are neither just negative nor positive:

>For example I experienced that during my years at school I usually was very sad when a teacher or one of my classmates left this school forever. I’m very attached to people! This can be considered as positive, because it means that I’ll always stay loyal to this company and that it’s very likely that a strong bond – perhaps even friendship – will develop between my associates and me, but it can also be negative when I’m in a bad mood, because of one of my colleagues leaving. As I said before I can merely hide my emotions…

>I am very interested in cultural subjects, political subjects and especially religion, meaning that I read a lot about them and thus can’t be anything but tolerant. At school this also resulted in me being angry at classmates who didn’t try to hide their prejudice and I’m afraid that at work this won’t be different. Moral courage isn’t really negative and I’m sure I’d never call somebody names for being racist or something, but this anger of mine always caused some kind of dull ambience.

>I deliberately trained myself in order not to loose my concentration even in noisy surroundings. For example I took a book to read a bit or made some kind of comprehension task in a foreign language when there was some building work outside. I’d say that I’m able to follow a book’s plot without being stressed no matter how loud it is. However these “comprehension tasks” of mine weren’t that stress – free. Of course I still was able to follow the plot, but still it was a little bit stressful for me. On the other hand I’m still working on this problem of mine as I’ve always been working on all of my weaknesses.

08:21 AM Aug 16 2011 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Resentfulness 

09:26 AM Aug 16 2011 |

Talk Now

Talk Now

Jordan

hi dear Nicte ha please don’t say (Well, if no one gives a damn abt those questions, so, they shouldn’t be here Tongue out)

your forum is great , i am looking for my weaknesses now , maybe i don’t like seeing my weaknesses but i am one always admit about my mistakes Wink

we have a common saying maens that the person don’t see his weaknesses others who tell him about it ,,

it’s good thing to know my weaknesses this will help good managed work and  go ahead for success life .

i wonder ,, why managers don’t ask about storngest point ?? 

they don’t believe us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or it thier way to discover the employee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Innocent

01:38 PM Aug 20 2011 |

Nicte ha

Nicte ha

Mexico

Dorothee, Whitney S, saif-alkindi@hotmail.com, thank u 4 ur comments :)

Talk Now: oh, Im sorry, but anarchotaurus said: Nicte you’re back huh? I assure you no one gives a damn about those questions… so I replied for him, but I apologize if I offend someone.

Im so glad u like this forum, thx :=)

And I agree, is good to know our weakness in order to managed and control them going ahead for better life.

But I have been in entreviews where emloyers asked me to tell 3 weankness and 3 strongest :=)

05:06 PM Aug 20 2011 |

Talk Now

Talk Now

Jordan

Dear Nicte ha ,

no one gives an answer this is not mean it is bad question or it shouldn’t be here , i had an experiance like this before

my weakness is i always predict events about future and workings due to my expectation , but life isn’t going as in my expectation , or my expectation is wrong so this putting me in indispensable troubles . 

i have found this advice about job interview 

When you’re asked what your greatest weakness is, try to turn a negative into a positive. For example, a sense of urgency to get projects completed or wanting to triple-check every item in a spreadsheet can be turned into a strength i.e. you are a candidate who will make sure that the project is done on time and your work will be close to perfect.

Note that the term “weakness” isn’t used in the sample answers – you always want to focus on the positive when interviewing.

thank you for such this helpful forum Smile

09:01 PM Aug 20 2011 |