Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

correcting students

ChrisNewYork

United Kingdom

In conversation class, how much should we correct student mistakes? How should we correct them?Should we interrupt the students while they are speaking or make notes about their mistakes and correct them later?

What are your thoughts?

09:07 PM Aug 25 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Nofre

Philippines

Use the word: I think it would be better if you will use "(correct word)" instead. This way the stud may not be offended.

06:14 AM Sep 01 2009 |

Nofre

Philippines

Use the word: I think it would be better if you will use "(correct word)" instead. This way the stud may not be offended.

06:14 AM Sep 01 2009 |

Maariya

Maariya

Pakistan

i preffer to make notes of their mistakes n corrrect them later because while speaking interruption make them confused and they might forget their other worlds too.

06:15 AM Sep 01 2009 |

pot03

pot03

Philippines

I think it is case by case… there are some students who wants to be corrected after they made a mistake and some of them doesn’t want to be corrected…. But I my case I correct my students in the wrap up and then give some quiz about the mistakes that they made… I think it is effective because on the next day they were avoiding to make those mistakes…

05:46 AM Sep 10 2009 |

Abdullah Oman

Oman

from my point of view

it depends in the speech

sometimes we want our students to focus on some parts of the language so we have to correct that part when ever they make a mistake so they will be familiar with it but of cource we are not going to correct everything just we will concentrate on the most important things and we can use different kinds of correction feedback. know your students well so you well know to correct and not and what strategy to use.

09:19 PM Sep 10 2009 |

ChrisNewYork

United Kingdom

Wow, thanks for all your comments. They're interesting and helpful. I like Nofre's suggestion of modeling the right word or grammar. Taking notes is a great idea too. Thanks again!

12:25 AM Sep 15 2009 |

dilemma36

dilemma36

Turkey

ı do think that correcting srudent at the right time  and in the right way is important. ıf you correct every mistake, student will be discouraged.

So, we should correct him if the mistake is important; and we should correct him not telling the right answer but making him aware of the fact that "there is a mistake in your speach" by the way of using our mimics not by words.

12:32 PM Sep 27 2009 |

Ferike333

Ferike333

Hungary

Dilemma36, you are right, I think, but if you want them to tell a whole opinion, or an introduction you should wait till the end and make notes.

Nofre, the way you suggested is very polite, my French teacher uses it so, but I'm afraid some children misunderstand 'it would be better', because you don't utter clearly it's not correct. They may think they're OK, just there's a better solution. But that's just my opinion. We are different and English words translated to our languages mayhave a slight different meaning.

Feri

08:14 PM Sep 29 2009 |

pjsenior

Germany

Three points:

1 – in conversation classes make a note of common errors made by the students and go through them after the activity, inviting students to correct the mistakes. Write them up. Let them see them. Correct them. Make a note of the mistakes and the corrections.

2 – for lower levels make sure basic mistakes with grammar are corrected; for higher levels, their basic grammar will be good and though they might struggle with more complex structures, actually the most important thing for these students is to have their vocabulary and pronunciation mistakes corrected. They appreciate this most of all, in my experience.

3 – remember how your parents corrected you as a kid when you made a mistake; they would sometimes just say "Nooo, that's wrong. It should be … what what what." I think if your students feel comfortable with you, then this form of direct correction can be beneficial. We don't always need to use self-correction as a technique; teacher correction with the right student, at the right time, and as one method among many can be helpful.

Good luck.

08:29 AM Sep 30 2009 |