Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

Love or Like?

pandorabottle

Taiwan

what is the difference between "I love you. " and  "I like you. " ?

I just have met lots of foreign friends since last summer vacation. I find they seems  easily say "I love you. " to others all the time. Therefore, I feel better when some of them say "I like you." rather than "I love you."....

However, that is totally different in Chinese culture.  (I am Taiwanese in Taiwan.) People won't easily say "I love you." to others, it seems has more different meaning in the word LOVE. Therefore, we usually just say "I like you." to others. 

In a word, I just wondering why this difference exist?                                     Because foreigners are almost passionate and Asians are almost cautious to express thier feeling? Or just because of different cultures?

02:54 AM Jan 09 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

green greener

United Arab Emirates

yeah that's right, love can mean different meanings, I can say now "I like you" even I don't know you Smile

05:22 PM Jan 09 2010 |

Ferike333

Ferike333

Hungary

If you love me, I'm your boyfriend, or a close relative or friend. If you like me it means you like my style, how I talk to you, but you don't know me well enough or simply don't 'like' me enough.

06:10 PM Jan 09 2010 |

sallyj

sallyj

Jordan

I agree with Ferike333,he could give the exact meaning of those…well

I LUV U is deeper than I LIKE U

06:21 PM Jan 09 2010 |

marianalarcon

Chile

totally truth!...in my opinion, and in terms of feeling, I mena how deep are they, I think that you LOVE somebody after a process of LIKENESS…you couldn't love if you didn't "like" sb.

Innocent

03:54 AM Jan 11 2010 |

mimmam52@yahoo.com

Bangladesh

i luv my friends

09:14 AM Jan 11 2010 |

pandorabottle

Taiwan

Wow~ You are so great that give me lots of opinions,thanks!  Smile

I really agree all of your different points of this topic.

LIKE you all , my friends Wink

03:38 AM Jan 12 2010 |

likaiyumandy

China

wow, i learn a lot here

02:57 PM Jan 12 2010 |

SABRINA 88

Algeria

I don't know

06:35 PM Jan 13 2010 |

Alburt

Alburt

China

It s a cultural problem and a translation one.

03:09 AM Jan 17 2010 |

Sajjad Khan

Germany

mmmmmm U can say to anybody that I LIKE YOU. But I LOVE YOU is something u can say to somebody, bcoz Its something u feels about some1 special. 

07:11 AM Jan 21 2010 |